The record-breaking 1950 Melbourne Cup winning horse, Comic Court, and legendary trainer, the late Bart Cummings, are to be remembered in a museum proposed to be established at Normanville, where Comic Court was born.
Comic Court spent his first couple of formative years at the Bowyer brothers’ Beau Neire Stud at Normanville. He was stabled, along with other horses, in a building which forms part of the heritage-listed Fergusson’s Mill / Cornish’s Mill / Gorge Mill, a steam-powered flour mill originally built in 1856. Albert Bowyer, a champion hay stacker and thatcher, bought the property in 1918 where he ran a dairy farm.
Three of his sons Hiram, Melville and David, established Beau Neire Stud, from where they bred, trained and raced horses.
$5 from the sale of every booklet will be donated to a special fund for the establishment of the Comic Court Lodge Racing and Equine Museum in part of the former Fergusson’s Mill building at Normanville.